ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Chalk Pastel Owls


Here's one of my favourite owl lessons- hanging chalk pastel owls.

Grade 5 students started off by drawing an owl- have books or photo reference handy for them- it helps alot! Once drawn out, they outlined them with a heavy outline of black wax crayon.



Then they coloured them in using either chalk pastels or construction paper crayons; whichever they prefer. Most chose chalk pastel because you can get so much lovely colour blending using them. Of course the drawback is they've very messy- so give extra time for clean-up at the end of class.
As you can see in the photo below, I store our chalk pastels in these awesome bowls from IKEA: the KALAS bowl, which is in the children's section. They are shallow and wide so never tip over. 
And you get 6 bowls for $1.79! 



Once coloured in, I have the kids 'bubble cut' their owl out (leave about a one inch border of white paper all around the edge- it acts as a frame of sorts).


Then they glue stick it to black construction paper. Then again bubble cut this out, punch a hole at the top and thread some yarn through if you want to hang them.


Some Grade 5 results!












No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...