ABOUT THIS BLOG

"A Faithful Attempt" is designed to showcase a variety of K-12 art lessons, the work of my art students, as well as other art-related topics. Projects shown are my take on other art teacher's lessons, lessons found in books or else designed by myself.
Thanks for visiting!
LAND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT I acknowledge, with deep respect, that I am gathered on Treaty 7 territory. I acknowledge the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit whose footsteps have marked these lands for generations. I recognize the land as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.

Friday, February 24, 2017

Imaginary Creature Paintings


This lesson was inspired by the children's book "The Zlooksh" by French-Canadian author Dominique Demers. In the early 2000's, this book was distributed free to 500,00 Grade 1 students across Canada by a National bank. Many of my older students remembered reading this book as a child (God, makes me feel old!)

The Zlooksh is a charming story about a young boy named Zachary who, when asked by his teacher to draw a picture of his favourite animal, uses his imagination to create an animal that can't be found anywhere.(source)


After reading the book to my Grade 2 students, they were challenged to draw their own imaginary animal and come up with a name for it. They drew it on 12 x 18" white paper, then outlined everything in Sharpie.


Once outlined, they painted it using handy-dandy tempera pucks.
It was really fun watching what they came up with!
Once dry, they 'bubble cut' around it and also cut out the name and glued it 
somewhere on their creature.




Here are some of their imaginary creatures :)








2 comments:

amyhussey said...

Thanks for sharing. New book to me and I am looking forward to giving this a go with my kiddos. Love what they came up with.

Miss said...

Thanks Amy! The book is also n Youtube if you can't fine it :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...